Job Title: CSN Director of Grassroots EngagementSUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION
Reports to: Ryan Hecker- Managing Director
Job-Type: Full Time, Exempt Employee
Hours: Typically, Monday-Friday, 9am to 5pm
Charter Schools Now (CSN) is the advocacy arm of the public charter school community in Texas. Its mission is to support and advocate for public charter schools to ensure every family has the ability to choose a high-quality public school.
A. Job Summary
The CSN Director of Engagement reports to the CSN Managing Director and helps implement projects that create and use grassroots pressure to impact decisions being made inside the Capitol and at the State Board of Education, build CSN’s engagement infrastructure, and impact CSN PAC’s electoral efforts. Working closely with the Managing Director, this is a project management-focused role that will help CSN execute on internal and external processes.
B. Essential Job Functions
• Project Manage and Assist in Electoral Work Efforts
• Support CSN’s Managing Director with executing robust electoral support plans at the local and state level, including managing communications with candidates, deploying grassroots supporters, and managing vendors.
• Maintain internal tracking systems to recruit and vet candidates.
• Drive and ensure engagement of grassroots mobilization efforts in support of candidates.
• Create and maintain team powerpoints and other documents demonstrating impact as requested by board members and Managing Director.
• Represent CSN in meetings with candidates, consultants, and others when needed.
• Create & Execute the Project Management Plan to Achieve CSN’s Grassroots Engagement Strategy
• Manage projects that use grassroots pressure to impact decisions being made inside the Capitol, at the State Board of Education and in the Courts (offensive and defensive).
• Plan and organize projects focused on new tactics and new initiatives like charter community town halls and other direct voter outreach efforts.
• Maintain systems to find, organize, and engage activists in grassroots mobilization in legislative districts.
Ensure CSN staff understands their work plan metrics and tracks progress toward completion.
Implement CSN’s Engagement Infrastructure
• Track & manage internal processes to build the infrastructure needed for CSN’s grassroots mobilization efforts and help with outreach to generate additional activists and advocacy actions.
• Oversee team implementation of key projects, including PAC check delivery and legislative scorecard.
• Assist with planning and implementation of CSN’s rural lawmaker engagement strategy.
• This individual will be instrumental in advancing CSN’s ambitious goals of increasing the organization’s influence by providing strong project management support.
• The successful candidate will be an extremely organized and detail-oriented professional looking for an opportunity to thrive in a position where he or she will be given space to contribute meaningfully to a team.
• This is a full-time, exempt position. Employees are generally expected to work a 40-hour work week, with an understanding that occasionally there will be times when 50 or more hours a week may be required in order to complete projects.
• Candidate must have a can-do, yes-and attitude and a dedication to the mission of supporting high-quality public school options for all kids.
• Candidate should embody CSN’s core values: Optimism. Drive. Hustle. Excellence.
• Candidate should be a self-starter who thrives in a fast-paced, rapidly-changing environment.
• Candidate must possess a strong internal commitment to excellence and deadline-meeting, and a proven ability to take initiative and ownership over a project.
• Candidate must be flexible, with the ability to pivot and adapt to change as necessary.
• Candidate should have high standards for her or his own work, and should be accountable to meeting mutually agreed-upon targets and deadlines.
• Candidate should have strong verbal and written communications skills and a commitment to excellence.
• Candidate should have experience in grassroots activism, preferably building and leading grassroots efforts.
• Candidate should have the ability to think critically and problem solve with little input.
• Bachelor’s degree.
• At least two years of previous experience in political campaigns and/or advocacy (ideally with experience in state level politics).
• Competitive Salary (actual salary is dependent on qualifications)
• Health Insurance, including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance
• Paid holidays and PTO
• Matching Plan for 401(k) contributions
This job description is not an employment agreement or contract. Nor is it an exhaustive list of all functions that the employee may be required to perform, and the employee may be required to perform additional functions. CSN reserves the exclusive right to revise the job description at any time without notice. Employment with CSN is at-will. An at-will employment relationship can be terminated at any time with or without reason or notice by either the employer or employee. This at-will relationship exists regardless of any statements made to the contrary. The employee must be able to perform the essential functions of the position satisfactorily, with or without accommodations. If requested, reasonable accommodations may be made.
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
• Cover letter detailing your interest in the position and unique qualifications
• Resume describing your relevant experience and education
Applications should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org