Vice President of Charter ExpansionReports to:
Full Time, Exempt EmployeeHours:
Typically, Monday - Friday, 9 am to 5 pm
The Texas Public Charter Schools Association is the voice of public charter schools in Texas. We’re on a mission to support and advocate for a policy and regulatory climate that ensures every student in Texas has access to ever-improving public school options. We work closely with our sister organization, Charter Schools Now.
A. Job Summary
The Vice President of Charter School Expansion will lead a team of staff and consultants to expand the number of high-quality charter schools available to Texas families. We’re looking for candidates who can plan and implement a new program, manage a team, build relationships with charter schools and elected officials - and who want to ensure that more Texas students can access the education that’s right for them.
B. Essential Job Functions
• Work with TPCSA leadership and external consultants to develop and implement an incubation and expansion strategy for public charter schools in Texas
• Build and manage the Charter School Expansion team. This includes, but is not limited to, contractors for incubation, contractors for expansion, external lobbyists, and internal staff.
• Oversee the creation and implementation of the programs that support new charter schools and the expansion of existing charter schools
• Support charter school applicants (and their consultants) to ensure successful navigation of the charter school application approval process
• Coordinate with city-based organizations to aide expansion efforts across the state
• Develop relationships with members of the State Board of Education (SBOE), ensuring that these elected officials know the facts about charter schools
• Represent TPCSA at SBOE meetings, testifying on behalf of the charter school community when needed
• Coach charter school applicants to secure support with community leaders and other elected officials
This is a full-time, exempt position. Employees are generally expected to work a 40-hour week, with an understanding that occasionally there will be times when 50 or more hours a week may be required in order to complete projects. Texas residency is required.
• 8-10 years of experience in K-12 education leadership, charter school growth, education policy, or government relations
• Demonstrated management experience
• Strong belief in the mission of public charter schools
• Proficiency with Google sheets, Google docs, and Google slides.
• Ability to build and maintain relationships
• Ability to learn quickly and take on responsibility
• Ability to juggle multiple projects with strong attention to detail
• Strong organizational skills are a must
• Excellent written and in-person communications skills
• Competitive Salary (actual salary is dependent on qualifications)
• Health Insurance, including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance
• Paid holidays and PTO
• Matching Plan for 401(k) contributions
This job description is not an employment agreement or contract. Nor is it an exhaustive list of all functions that the employee may be required to perform, and the employee may be required to perform additional functions. TPCSA reserves the exclusive right to revise the job description at any time without notice. Employment with TPCSA is at-will. An at-will employment relationship can be terminated at any time with or without reason or notice by either the employer or employee. This at-will relationship exists regardless of any statements made to the contrary. The employee must be able to perform the essential functions of the position satisfactorily, with or without accommodations. If requested, reasonable accommodations may be made to enable employees with disabilities to perform the essential functions of their job, absent undue hardship.
G. Instructions for Application
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
• Resume describing your relevant experience and education
• Cover letter expressing your interest in this job and detailing how you embody TPCSA’s core values of optimism, drive, hustle, and excellence
The PDF should be emailed to email@example.com